When it comes to your lipstick, lip glosses and lip crayons (or pencils), the better you take care of them, the longer they will last and the better they will perform.
All of your lipstick, glosses and pencils are made of materials the simply really hate heat. They are also made of materials that will go bad, grow mold and simply degrade over time. These short tips should educate you and help your lip products stay longer and perform better.
[highlight]Your refrigerator is your friend.[/highlight]
I know, hard to believe right? Check out these 4 tips.
- If you buy sticks or glosses in bulk, keep the extras in your refrigerator. This will lengthen their life until you are ready to use them.
- If your home is normally very warm in the summer, keep them all in your refrigerator.
- Placing a lip pencil or crayon in the freezer for 10 minutes before using helps keep it from breaking and makes it easier to apply.
- Hot steamy bathrooms and lipsticks don’t get along. Hot steamy conditions helps a lipstick grow mold. Further water + oil + wax is a bad mixture. A moist or wet lipstick will interfere with the application. Keep your makeup bag protected.
Let’s talk about lipstick Hygiene.
Cleanliness is important! You don’t have to obsess over this however, you should keep your lipsticks clean. You should take care where you store them, where you open them and so forth. What we recommend is that you clean the bullet from time to time. How do you do that you ask? It’s simple. Spritz it with a small amount of alcohol.
Since we are talking about hygiene, how do you know when a lipstick has met its retirement date? How long should a lipstick last?
There is a lot of buzz around about this, but seriously, 6 to 9 months. Unless that lipstick is loaded down with breast cancer causing parabens (and RAL does not contain paraben) , which fights mold, then 9 months and you are beginning to risk it. Now, that being said, how you take care of your lipstick is going to make the difference. Here is how you know when it’s time to say good bye to that tube.
- It smells funky. Just like anything else organic and especially in the case of natural lipsticks, such as RAL, eventually it will go bad. When it does, the smell changes. It will begin to take on a rancid odor and foul taste. This will really go for all of your cosmetics.
- When they become like glue and are very sticky.
- When they smell like crayolas.
Take care of you lipsticks and they will last longer. Keep them away from heat, strong window light, steamy bathrooms and airborne contaminants to lengthen their life span, but always understand, one day, a lip stick funeral is in order.
Connie of Dailyforage-glutenfree.com says
Scroll Down to post YOUR opinion.