This big game is this Sunday! THE BIG GAME! I know many of you will be attending a Super Bowl party or hosting one of your own. I have found plenty of gluten free goodies to keep your party going. There is no reason a gluten free diet should be boring…these recipes are sure to score big points with your rowdy crowd!
Nachos Fabuloso (from The Gluten-Free Goddess)
- 3 heaping cups organic blue corn tortilla chips
- 3 heaping cups organic yellow corn tortilla chips
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 4 oz. Cheddar or Jack cheese, shredded
- A big handful of organic sweet grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, or chopped mild green chiles
- Good chili powder or chipotle powder, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired
- Optional for carnivores- Add pieces of cooked chicken, turkey or grass fed ground beef.
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a large roasting pan with foil or parchment paper.
Layer the blue and yellow corn tortilla chips in the bottom of the lined pan; drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil [to be truly decadent a la Rocco, pour the chips into a bowl first, drizzle with olive oil, and toss well to coat evenly].
Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Layer the tomatoes, jalapenos, and the remaining shredded cheese. Believe it or not, drizzle a little more olive oil all over the the nachos. Add a dusting of spice, to taste, and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Bake for about seven to ten minutes, or so, until the cheese has melted and the nachos are happy and sizzling.
Basil and Roasted Red Pepper Bites (from glutenfreely.com)
- 1 package (2.5 ounces) thinly sliced ham
- 3 tablespoons garden vegetable reduced-fat cream cheese spread (from 8-ounce container)
- 1 package (2/3 ounce) fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup roasted red bell peppers (from 12-ounce jar), patted dry
- 5 pieces (5 1/2 inches long) string cheese
Stack 2 slices ham on work surface; pat dry with paper towel. Spread evenly with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons cream cheese. Top with basil leaves to within 1 inch of top edge. Cut pepper into 1-inch strips; cut to fit width of ham. Place pepper strips across bottom edge of ham. Place cheese piece above pepper on basil leaves; trim to fit.
Beginning at bottom, roll up securely. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 5 rolls. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Unwrap rolls; place seam sides down. Cut each roll into 5 pieces with sharp serrated knife. If desired, pierce each roll with 5 evenly spaced toothpicks before cutting.
Asian Crispy Chicken wings + Spicy Sweet Sauce (from whiteonricecouple.com)
- about 2 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints.
- 1 cup rice flour or all purpose flour.
- about 1 cup grape seed/peanut/vegetable oil for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 1 Cp water
- 2 ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce. We highly recommend fish sauce, if you have it.1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chili sauce, tabasco sauce, or sriracha sauce. OR about 2 finely minced thai chilis. Use a little less of these if you want it more mild, or use more if you want it extra spicy!
- lots of fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
Rinse chicken wings and pat dry. In bowl, add rice flour and fresh ground black pepper and add wings to coat with flour.
Fry wings on both sides till cooked through and golden brown.
For the Sauce: In small bowl, combine cornstarch and about 1 Tablespoon of water until mixture becomes watery, almost milky consistency. Combine well, then set aside.
In saucepan, add about 1 Tablespoon oil and fry garlic until it becomes slightly golden. Add water 1 cup of water, sugar, salt, fish sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and black pepper. Combine well and allow to slowly come to boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, turn off heat.
Slowly add about 1 Table spoon of cornstarch to the warm sauce mixture until it becomes thick enough to allow sauce to cling to wings. If the first Tablespoon was enough, then do not use the rest.
In separate bowl, add crispy chicken wings and toss with chili sauce.
Top with some sliced green onion and/or cilantro.
I cannot wait to try these game-day recipes on my guests this Sunday! I doubt they will even realize they are eating gluten-free! How are you going to spend your Super Bowl Sunday? How big a party will you be attending? Who are you rooting for? I hope your team did great this season!