This recipe comes courtesy of our friend Lauren Wuscher from her blog, LaurenDavidStyle.com. Calzones are a favorite comfort food of mine. Something about the doughy goodness filled with warm melted cheese and veggies just makes me feel happy and relaxed. This gluten free version is filling and tasty. This recipe is not only gluten-free, it’s dairy free, egg free, meat free, peanut free and completely vegan!
Ingredients for the Crust:
- 3/4c rice flour
- 1/4c + 2tbsp potato starch
- 2tbsp tapioca starch
- 1tbsp Italian spices
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1tsp Xanthan gum
- 1 1/4tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4tsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp olive oil + some to coat
- 1/3c rice milk or another milk substitute
- 2 egg replacers
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1/2c raw cashews
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 3/4tsp salt
- 2c Dairy Mozzarella Cheese or another cheese substitute
- Veggies of your choice (or you can go sans veggies)
A super garlicky tomato sauce for dipping! Yum!
- First, make the cashew cheese. Place your cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 4hrs until softened. Strain the water from the cashews and place in a food processor. Add the lemon juice and salt and blend until you have a creamy texture. It it’s too thick add a little water. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400F. In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients for the calzone crust. Whisk together to combine. Add in all other ingredients and mix until a dough forms. The dough will be slightly sticky. If the dough is too sticky to form into a ball, then add more rice flour or add sweet rice flour/sorghum flour to soak up some of the excess moisture.
- Roll the dough into two evenly sized balls. Using your rolling pin, or your hands, flatten the balls and roll them until you have approx 1/4″ thick circles. Place on your sheet pans.
- In a medium bowl combine the Daiya Cheese, Cashew Cheese, and the Veggies (if used). Mix until combined. Place an even amount of the cheese mixture in the middle of each dough circle on your sheet pan. If you have a lot of veggies, you may have some of the cheese mixture leftover, but that’s okay, you can use it for a pizza or to top on pasta, or anything else throughout the week.
- Fold up the sides of the dough and pinch closed so your cheese mixture is encased in the center. Brush the top with olive oil and place in the oven and bake approx 20-25min until browned.
This is definitely a great recipe for entertaining, for your kids and for those days you craving something filling and Italian. This GF calzone is a permanent staple on my meal plans.